I am an entrepreneurial business leader with more than 20 years client and agency-side experience in the private and public sectors. I’ve always enjoyed working with digital technology to deliver lasting transformational change.
I’ve done this in areas including technology, marketing, e-commerce, culture, broadcasting, business systems, publishing, customer service and internal communications. I hold professional qualifications in public relations, marketing and change management.
The Panoply Holdings plc
September 2020 onwards
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
- Leadership, change management, facilitation and coaching for rapid growth purpose-driven technology services group.
- Design and implementation of a decentralised group operating system to enable impactful work alongside profitable organic growth.
- Successful integration of newly acquired businesses within the group.
- Leading effective group marketing and internal communications.
Deeson Group Ltd
April 2020 onwards
- Board member overseeing 30 person digital transformation agency with bases in London and Canterbury.
- Responsible for senior leadership transition to new Managing Director.
Deeson Publishing Ltd
July 2018 to September 2020
- Communications and publishing agency for membership organisations, successfully demerged from Deeson Group Ltd in summer 2018.
- Liquidated company upon retirement of principal consultant in September 2020 through a Members Voluntary Liquidation.
Castle Street Holdings Ltd
July 2018 onwards
- Commercial property business managing 3,500 sq ft tenanted office building.
Canterbury Christ Church University Business School
June 2015 onwards
VICE CHAIR, ADVISORY BOARD
- Non-executive advisory board position providing strategic guidance, scrutiny and private sector insight to business school senior leadership team.
The Caldecott Foundation
September 2018 onwards
- Board trustee at charity providing specialist residential care, foster families, education and therapy to vulnerable and disadvantaged young people in the UK. Member of finance and audit/risk committees.
GreenShoot Labs Ltd
April 2020 to September 2020
CHIEF GROWTH OFFICER
- Leading new product and service development at leading global conversational AI consultancy working with clients including consumer brands, governments, universities and media.
Deeson Group Ltd
April 2016 to April 2020
- Led 30 person digital transformation agency with bases in London and Canterbury.
- Full profit and loss responsibility – delivered 95% revenue growth in four years consistently exceeding industry benchmark net profit margins.
- Successful new business track record with major new account wins over multiple years.
- Delivered complex digital transformation projects for clients including ITV, Barnardo’s, Johnson & Johnson, National Crime Agency, Royal Collection Trust, Imperial War Museums, The Scout Association and Shepherd Neame.
- Established effective multi-disciplinary agile software delivery teams.
- Developed and operationalised new services including digital transformation consultancy and strategy.
- Responsiblity for all agency operations, including new business, marketing, project delivery, recruitment client service, finance and operations.
- Sold agency to AIM-listed The Panoply Group in December 2018 and led the agency’s integration within the group.
GreenShoot Labs Ltd
October 2017 to February 2019
CO-FOUNDER AND CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
- Operational responsibility for start-up at product development company working with conversational interfaces, applied artificial intelligence and machine learning. Exited to AIM-listed The Panoply Group in February 2019.
Deeson Group Ltd
April 2014 to April 2016
- Leadership role in growing digital agency, including responsibility for marketing, change management and client services.
Medway Council & East Sussex County Council
February 2013 to April 2014
HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS
- Led two communications teams comprising approximately 55 people across two geographically distant operating locations with responsibility for annual budgets of £2.4m.
- Implemented a new operating model for the East Sussex team, including skills development for team members to ensure successful implementation.
- Delivered strategic communications campaigns for external and internal audiences at the two councils, including frontline services reputation campaigns and change communications.
January 2012 to February 2013
HEAD OF TRANSFORMATION PROGRAMME
- Secondment with responsibility for leading the council’s business change programme in addition to my existing responsibilities for communications and marketing.
- This programme radically reshaped the council’s operating model and implemented major new CRM, document management and mobile working solutions.
- Led a large programme team of council staff and external consultants. The programme successfully delivered annual savings of £4.7m by February 2013.
November 2009 to February 2013
HEAD OF COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING
- Launched major national campaigns covering policy initiatives and inward investment/regeneration.
- Led media response to difficult and sensitive issues that the council faced, including providing trusted counsel to the Chief Executive and political leadership, media liaison, preparation and training for interviewees and media handling.
- Developed and embedded an evidence-based communications and marketing approach.
- Produced the council’s digital engagement and website strategy, leading to the allocation of capital funding to the relaunch of the council’s website.
- Led website relaunch project which took a user-centred approach to deliver cost effective channel shift.
- The council’s digital engagement was recognised by SOCITM’s Better Connected 2010, 2011 and 2012 reports as being an example of good practice. The council’s website was rated in the top 10% of all council websites nationwide in 2012.
December 2002 to February 2013
FOUNDER AND DIRECTOR
- Oystertown Ltd was a small business I established in 2002 to provide digital marketing, communications and web services. As well as delivering projects personally I established a network of freelance contributors to service private and public sector clients.
November 2007 to November 2009
HEAD OF MARKETING
- Led team of 25 responsible for the council’s communications and marketing activities.
August 2004 to November 2007
MARKETING AND PR MANAGER
- Planning and delivery of marketing and PR campaigns for local authority.
Enterprise IG (WPP)
January 2004 to August 2004 (short term contract)
- Consultancy and managing senior client relationships with clients including BP, Vodafone, Nominet and SABMiller.
December 2002 to January 2004
MARKETING AND CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE MANAGER
- Negotiating interactive TV contract, relaunching website and interactive TV services. Optimisation of customer acquisition and cross-sales journeys on Egg’s website.
May 2001 to November 2002
CHANNEL MARKETING MANAGER
Developed and implemented integrated offline and online marketing communications programmes.
April 2000 to May 2001
PARTNER MARKETING MANAGER
- Marketing for the world’s first interactive television service. Marketing activities including TV, radio, press campaigns and advertising, online marketing and DM.
The Boots Company PLC
September 1998 to March 200
GRADUATE MARKETING TRAINEE
- Placements in category management (buying), in-store sales management and e-commerce. Business analyst on first transactional website for Boots.
Qualifications and accreditations
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA), 2015 onwards
- CIM Chartered Marketer, 2004 onwards
- CIPR Accredited Public Relations Practitioner, 2012 – 2016
- Case Western Reserve University – Online Certificate: Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence, 2015
- PwC, London – Horizon Advanced Leadership Development Programme, 2012 – 2013
- APMG Change Management Practitioner, 2012
- CIPR Diploma in Public Relations, 2007 – 2008
- CIM Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing, 2002
- CIM Advanced Certificate in Marketing, 2000
- BA Geography (Hons.) 2:1, University Of Nottingham, 1995-1998
- Key subjects studied included economic and industrial geography, GIS, marketing and economics.
- Final year dissertation involved qualitative and quantative research into the linkages between transport networks and economic activity at different spatial levels.
- A Levels, Exeter School, 1992-1994
Geography, Economics and Chemistry. All at A grade.
- GCSEs, Exeter School, 1990-1992
Maths, English Language, English Literature, French, German, Graphic Communication, Physics, Chemistry, Geography, Geology, Religious Studies. All at A grade.