Published on July 21st, 2010 | by Simon Wakeman0
CIPR Local Public Services conference – October 2010
This October the CIPR Local Public Services group is organising a two-day conference in Brighton.
Public sector communicators are facing unprecedented challenges – the scale and pace of change being experienced in the public sector mean communicators need to be able to adjust to the rapidly changing environment.
For that reason the theme of this October’s conference is “Navigating change: Shaping a new model of communications in local public services”. It takes place on 21 and 22 October at the Thistle Hotel in Brighton.
Speakers confirmed so far include:
- Alastair Campbell – former Director of Strategy and Communications for Tony Blair
- Scott Chisholm – former Sky News Anchorman and one of the UK’s leading media trainers
- Peter Bingle – Chairman of Bell Pottinger Public Affairs and one of the UK’s leading lobbyists.
- Paul Mylrea – Head of press and media relations at the BBC and President elect of the CIPR.
- Jonathan Males – Director of Performance 1 and former Olympian
There will be a choice of three master class sessions, one which will be on Personal Styling with Igor Srzic Cartledge – Igor uses his keen sense of style to help clients find the look that’s right for them as an individual. Another of the master classes will cover Social Media which will be held by Catherine Howe, Chief Executive of Public-I, a Hove based company that was created to respond to the new opportunities the internet presented to local authorities for re-engaging with their citizens.
The conference is designed for communicators working in areas including local government, health, police, fire and the voluntary sector. It will be a great opportunity to learn from some top speakers as well as network with colleagues and share experiences and tips about working in local public service communications.
[disclosure: I'm a member of the CIPR Local Public Services committee]
This article originally appeared on Simon Wakeman’s communications, marketing and public relations blog at www.simonwakeman.com.