Why is Twitter useful for work?

SimonGeneral10 Comments

Last week I was running a briefing session on social media – and asked people that follow me on Twitter to help prove to some particularly sceptic delegates that social media could be useful for professional purposes, so I tweeted:

proving value of twitter in soc med trg group – pls reply with your job/org to prove twitter is useful for work (convince sceptics in room)
10:53 AM Sep 16th from web

The answers were really useful, so I’ve published them here for future reference:

alncl @simonwakeman I use twitter for work every day. It provides examples of best practice and a chance to share problems and solve them together
11:00 AM Sep 16th from HootSuite

harry_harrold @simonwakeman I’m a project manager. Twitter helps keep up to date with best practise: I get help, I help others.
11:04 AM Sep 16th from web

escapetocreate @simonwakeman Am developing a new tourism business – twitter great for connecting me to people who want to work with and buy from me
11:05 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck in reply to simonwakeman

ingridk @simonwakeman Policy /KM/project manager type role – Twitter essential for me in discovering new practice in gov, a network of the helpful
11:11 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck

leejorgensen Looking 4 stats/research on social media use. Have @simonwakeman http://bit.ly/FjVLB & @lizayan LGEO http://bit.ly/VOtpw #lgcsoc #psfbuzz
11:12 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck

charlottetwitts @simonwakeman PR for @Hillingdon. Great way to get news out quickly to colleagues and trade press. Good for networking. Handy to get ideas.
11:13 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck in reply to simonwakeman

sharonodea @simonwakeman I’m an internal comms mgr, and I find Twitter invaluable for getting research and info in my field, networking with others
11:13 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

abeeken @simonwakeman Web Officer/Lincoln City Council. Use of Twitter for networking with other councils helps to keep on top of trends & news
11:17 AM Sep 16th from HootSuite in reply to simonwakeman

abeeken @simonwakeman Has helped to add functionality to customer facing website that wouldn’t have been aware of otherwise.
11:18 AM Sep 16th from HootSuite in reply to simonwakeman

annaleeb @simonwakeman Media relations, Northants – love it for breaking news, making connections (professional and personal) and sharing woes
11:18 AM Sep 16th from Snaptu in reply to simonwakeman

TessaHallett @simonwakeman Communication Officer, Swale Borough Council
11:19 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

lesteph @simonwakeman I’m Head of Digital Comms. Twitter keeps me in touch with stakeholders, gives me ideas and helps me promote our campaigns
11:20 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

sharonodea @simonwakeman oops, forgot to say where I work – London Borough of Sutton
11:20 AM Sep 16th from web

pubstrat @simonwakeman Serendipitous connections: finding out about people, ideas and activities faster and better
11:20 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

juliac2 @simonwakeman echo @ingridk + @lesteph – I’m in digital comms – good tool for quick updates and ideas – a network of the helpful
11:23 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

Symmetry_PR @simonwakeman Can be v useful, depends on work/campaign. Gd 4 environmental scanning, issues & crisis mngt, relations. Not 4 product push.
11:25 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck in reply to simonwakeman

pezholio @simonwakeman I find Twitter invaluable for networking and sharing ideas with people who I might never otherwise have met…
11:30 AM Sep 16th from Tweetie

pezholio @simonwakeman …With budgets tightening, it’s less easy to get out and about and meet people through the usual route of conferences too
11:30 AM Sep 16th from Tweetie

simoneverest @simonwakeman web strategist @defragovuk – share ideas with peers, feedback from end-users, up to the second news…
11:31 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

danslee RT @pezholio @simonwakeman I find Twitter invaluable for networking and sharing ideas with people <-- echo that 11:32 AM Sep 16th from web lozman74 @simonwakeman We use Twitter daily @NeLincs, have 300 followers and is vital and integrated part of our comms strategy. Take that, sceptics 11:35 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman micheleidesmith @simonwakeman Web Dev Manager, Cambs CC. Use Twitter for same reason as @alncl and @abeeken. Also useful to keep up with UX and SocMed news 11:35 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck in reply to simonwakeman sharonodea @pezholio @simonwakeman I find Twitter much more useful than conferences. Potential for self-organised events like LocalGovCamp is great. 11:36 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to pezholio bmwelby @simonwakeman Graduate Upstart Hull City Council - immediate access to network of thinkers & doers without being anyone or knowing anything 11:37 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman LizBridgen @simonwakeman senior lecturer, PR, De Montfort Uni, Leics - keeping up to date with industry trends, networking (w/ex students in PR) +more 11:42 AM Sep 16th from TweetDeck in reply to simonwakeman

sarahjohnstone @simonwakeman I’m a senior public relations officer at Dorset County Council, cheers!
11:43 AM Sep 16th from Twittelator in reply to simonwakeman

paulgeraghty @simonwakeman A s/w dev involved in many niches whose ‘news’ do not obviously cross over using tw to highlight trends + x-seed common ideas
11:48 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

paulgeraghty @simonwakeman in short tw helps me straddle communities and hopefully identifies me and my worth – also id likeminded souls – networking
11:50 AM Sep 16th from web in reply to simonwakeman

melanieharper @simonwakeman I agree with @pezholio and Twitter is very useful for keeping up to date – often it’s the first place I hear about things.
12:07 PM Sep 16th from Echofon in reply to simonwakeman

10 Comments on “Why is Twitter useful for work?”

1. Pingback: sturgey (andrea sturgess)

2. Pingback: mgstuma (John A Sturgess)

3. Pingback: bobledrew (Bob LeDrew)

4. Pingback: cunningpike (CunningPike)

5. Pingback: jangles (Neville Hobson)

6. Pingback: PaulBartonABC (Paul Barton)

7. Pingback: carolyndouglas (Carolyn Douglas)

8. Pingback: Interesting elsewhere – 24 September 2009 to 25 September 2009 | Public Strategist

9. Pingback: Last week’s links « Policy and Performance

10. Simply brilliant Simon.

Twitter can be truly helpful for all kinds of companies once they have understood the new communication philosohy that underlies Twitter and the social media in general.

It is also worth reminding that some company-wide guidelines are a very good idea before Twitter is used indiscriminately either internally or externally.