Head of Communications (shared role with Medway Council)
February 2013 to April 2014
In late 2012 I initiated an innovative communications partnership between the two councils securing high level political and officer backing.
Under this partnership I took on the role of joint Head of Communications in early 2013. My achievements in this role included:
- Leading two communications teams comprising approximately 55 people across two geographically distant operating locations, including responsibility for combined annual budgets of around £2.4m.
- Implementing a new operating model for the East Sussex team, including skills development for team members to ensure successful implementation of the new model
- Delivering strategic communications campaigns for external and internal audiences at the two councils, including frontline services reputation campaigns and change communications
- Establishing a risk-based approach to reputation management to ensure resources are focussed on managing issues that present the greatest reputational risk to the two councils
- Developing the business case for a shared regional communications agency for local government by merging the two council teams and providing traded communications services